is becoming a preferred mode of study for
students globally. Students across the globe travel to countries like the UK,
Canada, the USA, and Australia in search of a rewarding study experience to
acquire a firm foundation for their careers. The best countries to study abroad
invest greatly to keep up with the developments in technology and new areas of
study.  Universities abroad aim to present students with upgraded skillsets
paired with a practical curriculum to make students industry-ready. 

Aspiring students who choose to enroll in study abroad programs are presented
with a number of rights of employment as many look for opportunities to study
and work simultaneously. As a student, before you start working during the
semesters and terms, here are a few rights that you are entitled to –

In most countries, international students
have the same rights and enjoy the same protections as their citizens. In turn,
the students are expected to follow a code of conduct and a set of rules and

Work hours: 
Around the globe, at famous study abroad destinations to study in UK, Canada, the USA, and Australia, the best places to study
abroad have different allowances for student employment. Generally, a
student can work 20 hours a week during the study term and 40 hours during
vacation. However, these parameters may differ either on the type of course or
university. Students can clarify the same on the university website or consult
with Edwise regarding the same. It is imperative that you strictly adhere to
this allowance as you agree to these terms at the time of application for the
student visa.

As a student, you are entitled to be compensated while employed at a certain
organization. Students are usually paid minimum wage during their employment.
The minimum wage differs from country to country. For example, a study in Australia,
students are paid $13 -15 per hour, in the UK, students are £5-7 and in the US,
$8-10, based on the job. Hence students should ensure they are being paid in
the right price bracket as it is the law.

As a student studying abroad, in some countries, you are required to pay tax on
the money you have been compensated with. The amount to be paid in tax depends
on how much you earn. Tax rules and laws differ among countries; hence students
must pay close attention to the same. For instance, in Australia, you are
required to register and get a Tax File Number (TFN) before starting work.  In the UK, students who work part-time during
the course, do not need to pay tax. In Canada, tax is deducted or charged based
on your type of employment and how much you earn.

At most destinations abroad, students receive payslips, detailing the amount
earned, time worked, etc. Payslips are usually given, either on the day of
payment or a day later. Payslips are an important document and should be kept
safely as proof of employment and income and are generally required to be
presented on securing full-time employment following the course.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *